COMMUNITY: Beatport presents Depeche Mode Remix Contest in association with Native Instruments & JazzMutant!
Check this out!
If it wasn’t for Depeche Mode, electronic music might be very different. The English group’s innovation in the studio, particularly with their use of samplers, has influenced electronic music in uncountable ways.
The three pioneers of techno – Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson and Juan Atkins, regularly cited Depeche Mode as an influence when they were experimenting with Detroit techno in the mid 1980s, and Depeche Mode are often named by today’s leading DJs and electronic music artists as key influencers.
No other band of their stature has commissioned so many dance music producers to remix their work. The list so far includes Sasha, UNKLE, Paul van Dyk, Ricardo Villalobos, Booka Shade, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Michael Mayer, Rex The Dog, Ewan Pearson, Plastikman, Speedy J, Orbital, Blackstrobe, Underworld and Boys Noize.
The band’s connection to electronic music is more than just influence, it helped to give it a beating heart. That makes a Depeche Mode remix contest something special, and for the first time ever, the band have agreed to let the public remix one of their songs officially.
Beatport is honoured to bring this unique opportunity to the electronic music community.
Depeche Mode is inviting all budding DJs and aspiring producers out there to remix the band’s single ‘Peace’, taken from their new album ‘Sounds of the Universe’. The winning remix will be released on Beatport through Mute Records.
1. April 28th – May 12th: Download phase – Download the remix parts of ‘Peace’ for ($3.99), and get remixing.
2. May 12th – May 26th: Upload/Submission phase – Upload your remix to Beatportal to www.beatportal.com/remix. During this phase the entries can be listened to, but not voted for. The remix parts will still be available to download during this phase.
3. May 26th – June 9th 2009: Voting phase – The public votes for their favorite remixes by ‘spinning’ them.
After a period of deliberation, the winner will be announced on June 25th, 2009.
Apart from having your winning remix released on Beatport through Mute Records, the grand prize winner will also receive:
1. Download the remix parts to ‘Peace’ for $3.99 USD. NOTE: You do not need to download the WAV files to enter the remix contest.
2. Remix the track into your chosen style. All genres are welcome.
3. Submit your remix to Beatportal’s remix page. MP3 files sizes are limited and may be no larger than 10 MB.
4. The download phase begins April 28th 2009.
5. The submission phase begins on May 12th, 2009 at 12.01AM MST and ends May 26th, 2009 at 11.59PM MST.
6. The voting phase starts on May 26th, 2009 at 12.01am MST and ends on June 9th, 2009 at 11.59pm MST.
7. Ten remixes will be submitted as voted for by the Beatportal community and ten remixes will be submitted by Beatport staff. The final winner will be chosen by Depeche Mode and Mute Records.
8. Remixes using ‘uncleared’ samples will be disqualified. An ‘uncleared sample’ is a musical work, loop or sample that you do not own the copyright for (ie: you didn’t create it). You are free to use sounds that were created by you.
9. All remixes submitted for this contest become the legal property of Mute Records. Your remix contest submission becomes the legal property of the record label hosting the competition as protection against the release of unauthorized remixes.
10. All trademarks and logos are protected. All rights of the producer and the owner of the recorded work are reserved. Unauthorized copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record, remix or remix parts is prohibited. You may however upload your remix to MySpace and other online sites but it must be clearly named as a ‘Depeche Mode remix contest entry’.