Category Archives: Community

Big Money & EDM – Kalm Kaoz Stirs Debate In Scene

John Langdon (aka SlingR), half of Hollywood’s Electro House duo KALM KAOZ, along with his partner Filby (aka Motoe Haus), stirred up debate in the dance scene after his thesis on the EDM industry versus private equity firms was first published on renowned publication The Huffington Post. John is a guy with his heart in the right place. His undying passion for music – and EDM in particular – led him to write an opinion piece about the current climate in the industry where leading promoters and dance music brands are bought by large investment firms at an astonishing pace.

Langdon is a rare combination of a talented dance music artist — coupled with 20 years of experience on Wall Street as a private equity investor at firms ranging from Platinum Equity to Kohlberg & Co. It provides him with a unique perspective to ask questions, to add to the current dialogue, and express queries and concerns regarding the future of the EDM scene.

Big Money & EDM - Kalm Kaoz Stirs Debate In Scene

Wilf Libgott of Hammarica.com got in-depth with John Langdon to discuss his opinion piece and the plans for his band KALM KAOZ.

You just wrote a thesis on the current state of the EDM Industry in particular in the USA. It has gotten much praise the minute it was first published on The Huffington Post with hundreds of people talking on social media about it. What was your motivation to write the piece?

I love music, passionately, emotively; and dancing! I fervidly adore festivals, ever since going to Grateful Dead shows. I also fell for electronic music the minute I first heard it. A DJ team named the LSDJ’s used to play in Denver often while I lived there in 1999/2000. They were a clear precursor to Electro and I freaking loved those guys. Danced so hard to those cats. Going to dance festivals and dancing like a madman was a natural transition and has been very important to me, in terms of musical growth, creating new and lasting loving relationships, and celebrating life.

I simply felt profoundly compelled to write… saying to my gang on the way home from Ultra “I feel like I’m going to burst. I’ve got to write this down.” I was compelled by my love of house music. I was compelled by my history in private equity, understanding the PE (private equity) industry, and a desire to share one guy’s view, coming from a certain place and experience in life. PE, like electronic music, has many “genres” and strategies, so it’s important for people to understand that everything is more complicated than it first appears and to not lump all together in one basket. This said, as we all instinctively know, Wall Street capital and PE, particularly relative to SFX’s “genre,” history and power, move mountains and it’s important to open a dialogue about its entrance into dance music.

I wrote the piece because I care, love house music, and have perhaps a somewhat unique view. I want to bring attention to the topic, add a bit of light, and be sure we all…think, talk and seek knowledge. With knowledge, the lovers of house music, and other industries affected by financial firms, can bring honesty, passion and rigor to the debate. Knowledge is power, debate is healthy, and love for music is the driver.

Big Money & EDM - Kalm Kaoz Stirs Debate In SceneYou describe how big private equity funds could have a drastic effect on the fees talent is able to ask for their performances in clubs and festivals. Is there a ‘DJ bubble’ and is the top talent overpaid in the current climate?

Is there a true “price” for art? Jerry Garcia once said “I’ve always thought the Grateful Dead should be sponsored by the government or something. It should be a public service, you know, and they should set us up at places that need to get high. That’s the kind of thing we should be doing. We shouldn’t be doing business.”

I think if you read the piece, I’ve laid out a host of questions and data points that, perhaps, suggest the market is topping. I hope I’m wrong, but markets always top and often recover to attain higher highs. It’s the nature of things, from the internet to disco. My opinion is based simply upon my experience and instincts and I’m only one voice.

I like to look at hard facts. The music industry, and the entertainment industry as a whole, has a long history, though much of it is prior to the incredible power of technology and the internet, so many bets are off and predicting the future based upon historic events is challenging. This said, the growth of all industries, as with the net itself, have peaks and valleys, by definition. Mankind does as well (for an interesting reference point, see the Elliott Wave Theory).

As I said in the article, however, “the most beautiful thing of all is that we can finally dream of finding the next Mozart; Mozart 2.0 Cometh. His mom is making him dinner right now somewhere on the globe. Will the Mozart(s) of the world be paid and make money? Fist in the air, I say yes. Of course, talent, beauty and the imaginative mind of the child will perpetually stand alone at times and refuse the powers that be. They will refuse to sell through corporate channels, refuse to play at their festivals. The fans of these genius mavericks, no matter how many artists the “big guys” manufacture in their plants, will still pay to hear The Magic Flute.”

To what extent do you feel there could be a balance between independent promoters and the new large EDM companies like SFX Entertainment. Is there room for both, or will most of the independent promoters be pushed out of the market over time?

I believe many answers in life come from history and we often have short memories. I believe the answer, or at least a piece of the puzzle, resides there. If one looks at the history and outcomes of “roll-ups” (industry consolidation plays) in the entertainment industry, like those of Clear Channel and Live Nation, the answer becomes a bit more clear. I believe history suggests it’s likely going to be a challenging period for independents and promoters.

What would be the most important thing for dance music fans to remember after reading your piece?

As I said at the end of the piece, “It is up to us how this goes in the end. We are the customers. We are the fans. It is our attention they seek, at great costs, and it is our belief in the music that resonates through time.

Fist in the air, long live house music. Fist in the air, I love house music.”

Kalm Kaoz, the combination of both Filby and you (SlingR), is your producer/DJ team. Where did the name Kalm Kaoz come from and what’s your musical vision?

We describe ourselves as a Komplextro-driven rock ‘n roll band. We feel Electro as a genre is effectively rock ‘n roll if you listen closely. The note and chord progressions, etc., and general structure of genre inspires that feeling… rock ‘n roll. We want to rock the F out! To Filby and me, we feel we are a rock ‘n roll band. The “instruments” we use, or form in which we hurl power chord progressions and sound is infinite. I play the guitar and have been in rock bands and use this for much of our midi and song creation, along with the piano. It seems to us that rock ‘n roll isn’t so much defined by the instrument, but by the geniuses that came before us in the 60′s and 70′s and their attitude; rocking out and singing of love, heartache, and providing a voice of alternative views.

Kalm Kaoz strives to represent this attitude, vision and music. We feel our name is illustrative of the beauty and chaos of the time and, ironically, it suites Filby and me personally. He’s calm, I adore chaos, beautiful chaos. Within chaos comes new ideas, new paradigms, and a chance to break molds and the notion that “you have to do things this way or that.” Rock ‘n roll isn’t about living in a box. It’s about spreading love, rocking out, blowing up festivals, and celebrating life.

The universe brought Filby into my life – the dude is just epic and the band was formed – two guys. We thought about our message and logo and shit and, to me, my nephew Jack… no person on this earth makes me laugh more than Jack and his twin brother Ted. They “make” trouble and I love to make it with them. Boyish mischief is key to Filby and me. Those two turds are the basis for our “guys;” we call them the Mayhem Twins. The idea keeps us grounded in joy and cheekiness and we’ve got lots of ideas about how the Twins can spread joy and a bit of mischief…

You often cite The Doors and Grateful Dead, among other 60′s and 70′s rock bands. In what way do they influence Kalm Kaoz’s musical vision?

The 60′s and 70′s were challenging times for the country and the music was bold, brilliant and profoundly powerful. The famous picture of that guy putting a flower into a U.S. military guy’s gun – that was love, powerful love, putting a cork in the guns of our government. It speaks a million words.

The musical artists of the time were seekers, asking questions, and trying to find a path – a way to live while the world was in chaos.

House music is about the same ideas in many ways and is just as powerful. Just Instagram house music and the images that come up evoke peace, love and joy, and are clearly stating “we’re all here trying to celebrate our lives.” It’s not about “partying,” but rather celebrating. We need to get that message out so the powers that be understand us all better. History repeats itself time and again. We need people that don’t understand the music and our festivals to get it. It’s important to house music’s future, to Kalm Kaoz, and to the fans of dance music.

Jim Morrison is my icon, my muse. Jim was a poet, first and foremost, and a seeker. He was a true Renaissance man, genius, and maverick. There is no box to put him in; he stands alone. Jerry Garcia said, “Being high, each note is like a whole universe,” “to get really high is to
Jim’s irreverence toward the “system,” his poetry and strength of his pen, combined with the Dead’s belief in the importance of music, celebration, compassion, and constantly creating mischief, is Kalm Kaoz’s spirit.

The music of the time was simply dope. The Stones, Zeppelin, Dead, and The Doors, to name just a few, created magic – musical magic. I mean, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors is, like, perfect. It’s all a treasure trove of magical music with potent messages. We hope to be a channel for that energy and music to find a new audience.

Big Money & EDM - Kalm Kaoz Stirs Debate In SceneWhat’s next for your band and on the music front?

The rock ‘n roll bands that created those epic albums were touched by the universe. The universe helped them create such powerful music to get people’s attention, help them deal with the challenging moments and energy of the 60′s and 70s; the power, creativity and complexity of their music just makes your jaw drop. Like, how the hell did you guys create such brilliance, at will, time and again? Filby and I want to know!

We’re hoping to work with any of those guys, perhaps soon, and we’d like to re-create the albums of these masters in the electro/trance genres along side them, bringing the essence of their music back to an entirely new generation. The music is so potent, filled with power, passion and love. We hope to be a conduit for the Bob Weir’s, Jimmy Page’s, Paul McCartney’s and Keith Richard’s of the world to bring that banging…loving…epic rock ‘n roll to big outdoor festivals around the world. Their music is so important; it should be heard again and again, generation after generation. We’d like to simply be a conduit for that to happen.

Are there any specific projects in the works?

First, we’ve formed a charity called Hexagon House. Kalm Kaoz and Massive Enterprises, our parent company, were formed in large part, through beautiful music, to save twelve souls per year that would otherwise be lost. We are going to find kids that are gonna be tossed away by some system, but are inherently worthy of a good life and love. We’re gonna create a school for them, graduating twelve per year, that are taught – they must go back and get the rest of their brothers and sisters. In five years, we hope there’s a lasting, compounding impact. As Beethoven believed, unity through music.

We’ve got a host of projects in the works, much of which we can’t discuss just yet. Life is grand and we’re having great fun; we’re made to love and laugh. That’s our true natures, but the world is a tough game at times. If we can help make it a little softer, through raging our faces off and celebrating, while helping some kids, voila. Lots of laughs, spreading love and compassion and mischief through music.

READ THE ORIGINAL OPINION PIECE HERE:
http://www.massive-enterprises.com/endofdancemusic.html

CONNECT:
kalmkaoz.com
facebook.com/kalmkaoz
massive-enterprises.com

Hammarica.com Launches Its New DJ Agency 657 Deejays

Hammarica

Hammarica.com, known for its widely popular Dance Music Blog and PR Agency proudly takes the next step in its existence as it launches its Seattle based DJ agency www.657deejays.com. The first artists to join 657 DEEJAYS include Antonio Giacca, JOOP, Bassrock, Artento Divini, Angry Muffin, Area 303, Divini & Warning, Hibernate and The DJ Sessions. The main focus for the agency will be the North American market. Yet, select artists will be available for bookings world wide.

Wilf Libgott, CEO of Hammarica.com says: “657 Deejays actively selects its top notch talent, whether that means the superstars, the legends or the young blood. All are equally important to keep the dance scene thriving. As I’m originally from Holland, I saw the rise of big festivals first hand. In the last few years these massive productions have gone world wide such as the Sensation events in over 20 countries. The US EDM scene is still fairly young, but quickly expanding as big corporations acquire numerous long known dance music brands and promoters. We definitely want more DJ’s from Europe play shows in North America and connect the people here with their top-level sound. 657 Deejays strives to bring a varied roster across the whole EDM spectrum. There are so many sub genres of EDM and each style has their own dedicated fan base. At the same time, all these different sounds are rapidly merging with each other as well. It becomes less important to label the music and more important to give the audience an experience beyond a certain style. Our mission is to provide promoters with the best and most cutting edge talent available and making the booking experience a breeze for every party involved.”

A quick look through the roster unveils some well known names lined up together with fresh talent.

ANTONIO GIACCA is one of the hottest names in the dance scene of today. He releases Big Room tracks at an astonishing pace, cracking the Beatport charts and receiving rave reviews all around the world. All the magic happens at Antonio’s High Gravity Recording Studios right on the Hollywood strip which he owns and operates with EDX. His productions can be found on labels such as ToolroomPinkstarSpinnin’ RecordsSirup Music and his own label Optimizer Records.

Dutchman JOOP has been on the forefront of the global dance scene for over a decade. Initially discovered by ID&T, the world’s largest promoter, he headlined events ranging from MysterylandSensation and Trance Energy. He was responsible for 2007′s Trance Energy anthem THE FUTUREwhich gained up to 1.000.000 combined YouTube views. In a few months from now JOOP will release the highly anticipated 2013 remake of The Future.

BASSROCK is not only part of the DJ Agency, but is also signed to Hammarica Management. This 21 year old Electro House prodigy is a promise for the future with a stage presence like none other. In the midst of mashing up mind blowing Electro and Dirty Dutch behind the decks, he shows off his wildest moves to the crowd, hyping up the fans as he elevates the music to the next level. Showmanship might be his middle name, but as a producer, he brings even more beef to the table.

Other artists include ANGRY MUFFIN, a Canadian artist who pushes the boundaries of today’s electronic music and performance. He received praise from the international press for his self-titled debut album resulting in interviews and features ranging from Tilllate Magazine to Pumped Audio, Party Time Magazine, and EDM Nightlife. Then there is Big Room duo DIVINI & WARNING who are mainstays on top labels like Armada Music, Spinnin Records and High Contrast Recordings. As a solo artist ARTENTO DIVINI has releases out on In Charge, Ava Recordings, Coldharbour, Doorn Records and Reset while rocking events such as Trance Energy, DefQon1, Dance Valley and In Qontrol. AREA 303 is a techno and acid house live performance duo from Seattle. They stay true to the oldschool sound utilizing an array of analog synths, drum machines, stomp boxes and the latest sampling groove machines to bring a raw and intriguing sound. Since they have control over each single note played, they have the ability to directly interact with their crowd and tweak to perfection.

A special part of the roster is definitely THE DJ SESSIONS. The DJ Sessions has been an EDM Live streaming video show for years featuring both new talent and A-list celebrity DJ’s. The DJ Sessions is available for bookings at clubs or larger scale dance events to document a night on video and stream it live as it happens. This way, promoters can strengthen their fan base, give new potential patrons a look inside their events and make everyone a part of the experience.

Before launching the DJ Agency, Hammarica.com started in June of 2012 with its dance music PR Agency and EDM magazine. The PR Agency has proven very successful representing artists as varied from Marco Bailey, to Darin Epsilon, Andrew Bennett and Kalm Kaoz.

The magazine is stockpiled with the latest dance music news, party reports, new releases, columns, tutorials, the famed Dubstep Name Generator which quickly became a very popular tool and www.DJ-Meme.com where people can caption pictures of their favorite DJ’s.. On top of that it features daily interviews with the most interesting names all across the EDM spectrum. Some of these featured artists include: Dirtyloud, Dave Clarke, Bad Boy Bill, Armin Van BuurenJuan Atkins, Ferry Corsten, Manuel De La Mare, Dirtyphonics, Renaat Vandepapeliere, Excision, Todd Terry, Cazzette and many more. Through the interviews, we get to know the persons behind the artists. It gives them the much needed face to otherwise often faceless music. What drives their passion? What kind of experiences do they have?

657 Deejays will add more names to its roster in the coming months.

CONNECT:

www.657deejays.com
www.hammarica.com
www.facebook.com/hammarica
www.dj-meme.com

Insomniac and Exchange LA Announce the Launch of ‘Extended Hours’ on Saturdays

Insomniac and Exchange LA Announce the Launch of
‘Extended Hours’ (10 p.m. – 6 a.m.) on Saturdays

Taking place in Downtown’s historic core Saturday, April 6, 2013,
featuring a four hour set by Victor Calderone

Los Angeles, Calif. – April 1, 2013 – Insomniac, the world’s premier dance music event producer, and Exchange LA, voted DJ Mag’s #60 club in the world, are proud to announce the launch of ‘Extended Hours’ at ‘Inception Saturdays.’ This event will mark the beginning of Exchange LA’s new extended hours of operation on Saturday nights.

‘Inception Saturdays’ hosts Dance Music artists from a multitude of genres (House, Electro House, Progressive House, Trance, Deep, Techno) and incorporates Insomniac’s unique brand of enhanced production, design and a Funktion-One sound system. The ‘Extended Hours’ portion of Inception Saturdays (3 a.m. – 6 a.m.) will feature the best in Techno, Tech House & Deep House from top local and international dance music artists.

“People just don’t want to leave the venue at 3 a.m. when the lights turn on and the music stops, many of them want to dance until the sun comes up,” says Dominic Saldana, marketing director of Exchange LA. “We are excited to pilot our new hours of operation in conjunction with Insomniac’s Saturday night event series Inception. People can count on the music to be top notch from beginning to end.”

The launch of Exchange LA’s new ‘Extended Hours’ will feature a four-hour headlining set from world-renowned DJ/producer Victor Calderone, with opening and closing sets by Tara Brooks and Steve Prior.

For full information on event details, please visit ExchangeLA.com
To purchase tickets to Inception, please visit the event listings at Insomniac.com

About Insomniac
Insomniac produces innovative music festivals and events featuring immersive multisensory environments enhanced by state-of-the-art lighting and sound design, large-scale art installations, interactive circus and theatrical performances, boundary-pushing special effects and pyrotechnics, and fan participation. The quality of our fans’ experience is the company’s top priority. Insomniac’s premier annual event, Electric Daisy Carnival, is one of the largest, most spectacular music festivals in the world. Insomniac has produced more than 250 music events and for more than 3 million attendees in California, Nevada, Colorado, Washington, Texas, Florida, New York, and Puerto Rico. Founded by Pasquale Rotella, Insomniac has been based in Los Angeles since it started in 1993.

Keep up with Insomniac announcements and news on Facebook and Twitter.

About ExchangeLA
“You only have to see Exchange LA to ‘take stock’ of what it used to be. Once the official dwellings of the LA Stock Exchange’s downtown activity — which closed its operations in 1986 as fiscal business fled to other parts of the city — the building’s four floors were unveiled as Los Angeles’ most ambitious club concept in 2010. Designed by Samuel Lunden and built in 1929, this opulent eleven-story Art Deco building is no longer run by fat cat investors, but the article of affection for the world’s most successful DJs (Armin van Buuren, Carl Cox, AN21, Max Vangelli).” – DJ Mag

Full Travel Package Contest: Win Above & Beyond’s ‘Group Therapy’ Residency @ Wynn Las Vegas

Above & Beyond Anjunabeats Logo

Above & Beyond Announce ‘Group Therapy’ Residency @ Wynn Las Vegas
‘Above & Beyond Weekender’ May 17 & 18
Mega-Competition Open Now on Above & Beyond’s Facebook Page

Above & Beyond's 'Group Therapy' Residency @ Wynn Las Vegas + Full Travel Package Contest

Above & Beyond will begin their new ‘Group Therapy’ residency at Wynn Las Vegas with an ‘Above & Beyond Weekender’ May 17 & 18, including a full-production club show at XS on Friday night, followed by a pool party at Encore Beach Club on Saturday.

Fans can enter a competition to win a trip to Las Vegas for the launch weekend via Above & Beyond’s Facebook page. The prize includes travel, accommodation, and board at the 5-star Wynn Resort for one lucky winner plus a friend.

“From starting life as the title of our second album, ‘Group Therapy’ has somehow evolved to sum up everything we do. It captures the relationship between us, our music and our fans, and the magic that happens when those three things interact. We’re looking forward to bringing the full Group Therapy experience to The Wynn and Las Vegas for the first time.” - Above & Beyond

Above & Beyond have been on a non-stop global Group Therapy tour since the 2011 release of their critically acclaimed artist album of the same title, which features hits like “Sun & Moon,” “Alchemy,” Thing Called Love” and their current smash “Black Room Boy.” Above & Beyond’s Group Therapy show has become one of the most talked about in dance music, providing unforgettable moments for audiences from Los Angeles to Moscow, Sydney to Tel Aviv, Cape Town to Bangalore, and beyond.

Group Therapy is also the name of Above & Beyond’s weekly radio show. With its global listenership of 30 million, it sits as one of the most popular dance music shows in the world, trending weekly on Twitter during broadcasts. For more information check out their website.

For their exclusive residency at Wynn, Above & Beyond will perform over 10 dates with a special Group Therapy themed production, beginning with the launch weekender on May 17 and 18.

Encore Beach Club is open seasonally. Surrender is open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from  10 p.m. to 4 a.m.  Tryst is open Thursday through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.  XS is open Friday through Monday from  10 p.m. to 4 a.m. Table reservations are highly recommended (Encore Beach Club and Surrender: 702-770-7300; Tryst: 702-770-3375; XS: 702-770-0097). For more information, visit  www.wynnsocial.com.

FacebookAboveandBeyondAnjunabeats
Twitter:@aboveandbeyond@anjunabeats
Webaboveandbeyond.nu | anjunabeats.com | anjunadeep.com

Ultra Music Festival Breaks Records On Its 15th Anniversary + 2014 Dates!

AFTER 2 WEEKENDS, 330,000 ATTENDEES ANDOVER 10 MILLION UNIQUE LIVE STREAM VIEWERS, ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL OFFICIALLY CELEBRATES ITS BIGGEST, MOST SUCCESSFUL YEAR YET!

Ultra Music Festival 2013 - Miami, FL

“Looking back over the three days of dance music theatrics, it’s fair to say Ultra does nothing by halves…This year’s festival brought in crowds of over 150,000 ragers on both weekends, and there was no shortage of definitive moments…after Sunday’s Swedish send-off, the question is, how to top it in 2014?” - InTheMix

ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL officially concluded this past weekend as its most successful, elaborate and record-breaking year yet! After more than 330,000 electronic and live music enthusiasts descended upon downtown Miami’s transformed Bayfront Park to attend the colossal annual event – which took place over two weekends for the first time in its 15 year history – ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL looks back fondly at some of the highlights, records and memorable moments that made this year so very special.

For the first time ever, all SIX DAYS of the world’s premiere electronic event were streamed live over the internet via Ultra’s official YouTube channel UMF TV, in a broadcast which saw over 200 of the world’s leading DJs and electronic musicians watched by an audience of over 10 MILLION unique viewers from all corners of the globe – officially making it the most viewed festival event in North America to date!

Arguably the most notable climax of the festival was the last ever show from world-dominating Scandinavian trio, Swedish House Mafia. This scintillating final performance, full to the brim with mind-frazzling lights and pyrotechnics, state-of-the-art dynamic visuals, a back catalogue of their greatest hits new and old – and a hefty pinch of nostalgia thrown in for good measure of course – was in turn watched online by over 200,000 concurrent fans worldwide. This figure has now been officially declared by YouTube as the highest concurrent number of views for any US non-sponsored music stream!

Another incredible new addition, which must not go without special mention, was the sheer enormity of this year’s  LIVE STAGE and its talent. Set within the formidable amphitheater, and with live performances from the likes of Dog Blood, Azealia Banks, Snoop Dogg, Disclosure, Krewella, The Weeknd, Pretty Lights, Faithless, Booka Shade, Hot Chip, Crystal Castles, and many more, this newly concieved stage area heavily contributed to what was, by far, the most diverse and star-studded billing of talent in the festival’s 15 year history.

Although the lengthy plethora of highlights is far too immense to mention in full, other memorable moments included deadmau5’s return to Ultra with his stunning ‘Cube’ live show; Avicii’s second weekend performance on the eye-watering main-stage, in which he debuted brand new material from his upcoming album (with a slew of live appearances from legends such as Aloe Blacc, Mac Davis, Audra Mae and Dan Tyminski, and three members from the iconic Incubus – Mike Einziger, Jose Pasillas and Ben Kenney); and the surprise appearance of Grammy-winning guitarist Slash, who joined Dirty Dutch front-runner Chuckie during his main stage set for a live performance of their collaboration “Rocktronica.”

Following what has been by far the most extraordinary festival in the event’s mammoth 15 year history, ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL has also announced that they will return next year from March 28th-30th, 2014.

Looking forward, the next installment from Ultra Worldwide comes in the form of ULTRA IBIZA in May 2013. The exact details have yet to be announced, but you can stay tuned to the official Facebook page for up-to-minute information on dates, lineups and ticketing!

Ultra Music 2014 Dates - March 28, 29, 30 2014

About ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL
As the world’s most famous outdoor electronic music festival, ULTRA has won “Best Music Event” by the International Dance Music Awards (IDMA) six consecutive years, from 2005 to 2011, “Best International Dance Music Festival” by the Ibiza DJ Awards in 2008 and “Best Festival” by the Village Voice Media New Times consecutively five years running from 2005 through 2009.  Originally created as a pure electronic music festival in 1999, ULTRA has grown through the years to present not only the genre’s hottest, biggest and best headline artists (The Prodigy, Swedish House Mafia, The Chemical Brothers, Tiësto, David Guetta, deadmau5, Underworld, Kraftwerk, Armin van Buuren, Moby, Fatboy Slim, Justice, Carl Cox and Avicii to name a few), but also crossover headline bands that incorporate EDM elements in their music and have a history or new beginning in the EDM community and culture (The Cure, The Killers, New Order, Duran Duran, The Black Eyed Peas, Erasure, M83, Santigold, The Ting Tings, Cut Copy, Empire of the Sun and Bloc Party). In 2012, global pop icon Madonna appeared as a special surprise guest—the festival’s gift to their fans—to introduce the main stage final headlining artist AVICII, joining him behind the decks to premiere his UMF remix of her new single “Girl Gone Wild.”  The year also was the subject of CAN U FEEL IT, a major documentary feature about the festival, which was shown in over 500 theatres nation-wide.  Together with its signature, cutting-edge productions, ULTRA is unrivalled by consistently presenting the world’s greatest, most diverse EDM line-ups year after year. In 2013, as it celebrated its 15 year anniversary, ULTRA became the first major EDM festival in the world to expand to two weekends: March 15, 16 and 17 and March 22, 23 and 24. Both weekends sold out with a combined total of over 330,000 people in attendance from 95 countries, breaking the festival’s previous record. A global brand, ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL takes place in Miami, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Ibiza and Korea, expanding into Europe with ULTRA EUROPE July 2013 in Croatia.

ultramusicfestival.com
facebook.com/ultrafanpage
twitter.com/ultramusic
youtube.com/umftv

28th Annual International Dance Music Awards (IDMA 2013) Winners Announced!

28th Annual International Dance Music Awards (IDMA 2013) Winners Announced

Ladies and gents, the IDMA 2013 winners have officially been announced!

28th Annual International Dance Music Awards (IDMA 2013) Winners Announced

Lifetime Achievement:
Nile Rodgers

1. Best Underground Dance Track:
Not Listening – Maya Jane Coles

2. Best Alternative/Indie Rock Dance Track:
Somebody That I Used To Know – Gotye Feat. Kimbra

3. Best Indie Dance Track:
Just Let Me Dance (Maxxi Sound System Remix) – Scandal

4. Best Latin Dance Track
International Love – Pitbull Feat. Chris Brown

5. Best Commercial/Pop Dance Track
Sweet Nothing – Calvin Harris Feat. FlorenceWelch

6. Best House/Garage/Deep House Track
Love Somebody Else Feat. Joi Cardwell – Maceo Plex & Jon Dasilva

7. Best R & B/Urban Dance Track
Where Have You Been – Rihanna

8. Best Electro/Tech House Track
Don’t You Worry Child – Swedish House Mafia Feat. John Martin

9. Best Rap/Hip Hop Dance Track
Wild Ones – Flo Rida Feat. Sia

10. Best Trance Track
J’ai Envie De Toi – Armin van Buuren presents Gaia

11. Best Progressive Track
The Veldt – Deadmau5 Feat. Chris James

12. Best Dubstep/DnB/Jungle Track
Bangarang Feat. Sirah – Skrillex

13. Best Minimal/Techno Track
Goes On – Umek & Stefano Noferini

14. Best Chillout/Lounge Track
Lick It (Kaskade’s Ice Mix) – Kaskade & Skrillex

15. Best Break-Through DJ
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike

16. Best European DJ
Hardwell

17. Smirnoff’s Best North American DJ
Kaskade

18. Best Global DJ
Armin van Buuren

19. Best Radio Station (Global)
BBC Radio 1

20. Best Terrestrial Radio Station (US)
WKTU 103.5 - New York, NY

21. Best Radio Mix Show DJ (Global)
Armin van Buuren

22. Best Compilation
Ultra 2012 – Ultra Records

23. Best Full Length DJ Mix
R3hab – Electric Daisy Carnival V.3

24. Best Producer
Armin van Buuren

25. Best Remixer
Hardwell

26. Best Music Video
Don’t You Worry Child – Swedish House Mafia Feat. John Martin – (Dir: Christian Larson)

27. Best Podcast
A State Of Trance – Armin van Buuren

28. Best Break-Through Artist (Solo)
Zedd

29. Best Break-Through Artist (Group)
Krewella

30. Best Artist (Solo)
Avicii

31. Best Artist (Group)
Swedish House Mafia

32. Best Music Media Resource (Online or Print)
DJ Mag

33. Best Music App
SoundCloud

34. Best Music Label Promoter or Exec In-House
Eelko van Kooten – Spinnin’ Records

35. Best Independent Music Promotion/Marketing
Cary Vance – Promo Only Promotions

36. Best Music Retailer
iTunes

37. Best Dance Music Specialty Retailer
Beatport.com

38. Best Promo Subscription Service/Music Pool
Promo Only

39. Best American Music Label
Ultra Music

40. Best Global Music Label
Armada Music

41. Best Music Event
Tomorrowland - Boom, Belgium

42. Best Event Promoter
Insomniac Events

43. Best US Club
Space - Miami, FL

44. Best Global Club
Space - Ibiza

45. Best Headphones
Beats By Dr. Dre – Studio from Monster

46. Best Mixer/Controller
Pioneer – DJM-2000 Nexus

47. Best CD Player
Pioneer – CDJ-2000

48. Best Club Sound System (Manufacturer)
JBLAudio

49. Best Club Sound System (Design)
Ministry Of Sound - London- Martin Audio

50. Best Pro Studio Product of the Year
Apple – Logic Pro 9

51. Best Keyboard or Sampler
Native Instruments – Maschine

52. Best Manufacturer of the Year
Pioneer

53. Best Studio Software
Apple – Logic Pro 9

54. Best DJ Software
Virtual DJ

55. Best New Product of the Year
Pioneer – RMX-1000

Click here for a full listing of nominees and winners.